Saturday, November 28, 2015

Vintage-Inspired Chalkboard Art: Christmas Mantle


 Before you go out and spend $$$ on a trendy (but-oh-so-beautiful) Christmas decor item for your mantle...WAIT!!  Here's a fast and easy DIY crafty project that can update your mantle in less than an hour! I had a BLAST whipping this out last night (although the hubs thought I was crazy at first LOL!), and I thought I'd take a minute to explain how I did it to help and inspire you, too!

Okay, what you need is a chalkboard--I simply unscrewed the chalkboard off of my littlest one's easel (this one) and popped it right off--love the fact that it already had the holes I needed for hanging!


Next, using this chalkboard printable for inspiration, I used white chalk to draw the sentiment onto the board (skinny side for most of the letters--wide side for "COME"). Then I added a bit of washable Crayola red paint over the "COME" letters.  Last, I outlined all the white cursive letters with a chalkboard marker to really make them POP.  Above you will see an up-close picture of the chalkboard--feel free to click on the image to see it larger and in greater detail!
  

To hang, I simply knotted a burlap ribbon through the holes in either corner of the chalkboard and strung it up on a removable Command hook.  Then, I added a wire-on prefab chevron burlap bow I snagged off of my fall wreath (bought at Michael's).

Here's the final look of the mantle, complete with a curtain rod which came out of my basement to hold the stockings--love that I can slide them down to add more when family comes into town for Christmas morning! 


I hope you enjoyed this Pinterest-inspired and FREE Christmas mantle update using your kids' craft items!  It was fun to put together and will be fun to enjoy all season long!

No comments:

Post a Comment