Thursday, August 28, 2014

Woodgrain Embossing Folders

Hi there, friend!  Just wanted to share with you some things I have recently learned about embossing folders. This spring, I got a Cuttlebug machine and have really enjoyed playing around with all the embossing techniques you can do it.  However, I recently ran into some problems with the woodgrain embossing folder.  Let me explain.

I recently purchased my woodgrain embossing folder from Stampin' Up.  It was my first folder from this company--my others are CTMH (Close to My Heart) folders and I have one from Cuttlebug (bought from Michael's).  While the woodgrain embossing folder from SU was $1 cheaper than the one offered from CTMH, I immediately realized that you get what you pay for once it came in the mail!  Here you can see SU's folder (made by Sizzix) compared with CTMH's folder--big size difference!


 The other great feature about CTMH's folders is that they feature this little slit at the top.  This allows you to feed through cardstock strips to get a continuous pattern for 12x12 scrapbook pages, for example.  Love this feature and I have used it often on my pages and it is super easy to match up the pattern!


Well, the problem that I was running into with my woodgrain embossing folder was the cracking and tearing of the cardstock once I ran in through.   I usually emboss my patterns using white core cardstock (made by CTMH) and I am usually pleased with the results.  Here, here, and here are a few card examples I have tried and I love how the white pops through--I often sand the raised edges to give it a distressed look.  However, with the woodgrain, I wasn't getting a distressed-looking image--I was getting a cracked and torn look that I wasn't as pleased with.  Check it out below...


Apparently, after a Google search, I realized that this problem is not unique with me--a lot of people have had issues with cracking and tearing of paper (even using solid-core cardstock) with this particular embossing folder pattern.  So, I gathered some tips from these sources and tried a vellum cardstock shim and regular cardstock shim, and also tried to be careful to emboss with the grain.  I was still disappointed.  It didn't seem to matter whether I embossed with or against the grain, and the vellum shim simply tore apart after a few uses and didn't seem to help.

So what DID finally help?  Well, thanks to a friend of mine (thanks Anna!) who gave me some SU cardstock, I finally was able to emboss without the cracking issue using SU's 80 lb. weight cardstock.  I tried Early Espresso and Crumb Cake and was very pleased with the results.  No tearing.  No cracking.  No need for shims.  No need to fuss with the grain of the paper.  You can see the difference below! 


So now I have the option of the solid look AND the distressed look, on whatever color cardstock I choose!  Bonus!

Hope this might help you if you get stuck with this particular embossing folder pattern!  Hope you have a creative day and thanks for stopping by!

No comments:

Post a Comment