Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Pink Duct Tape

Hello there!  Wanted to continue my discussion of my spiritual journey suitcase, this time focusing on a peculiar little item...this roll of pink polka dot duct tape.  If you missed the previous post about this special keepsake box, you can catch it here.
 

I am studying the book of Exodus right now and am learning (or relearning...I feel like God has shown me this multiple times in multiple ways!!) about how sin is bondage to us--just like the Israelites were in bondage in Egypt.  Through miraculous plagues, the passover, and finally the parting of the Red Sea, God (through Moses) led his people out of slavery and into freedom.  Today we are blessed to follow Jesus, the "greater Moses" who has conquered sin and death, and be led to the ultimate freedom from sin and death as we serve and worship Him.

But, as I was revisiting this familiar passage of Scripture, I was reminded that we are not just freed FROM something as much as we are freed TO something. You see, in Hollywood's version, Moses (aka Charlton Heston) always says "LET MY PEOPLE GO!" to Pharaoh, but the actor leaves off the critical second half of Moses' repeated request on behalf of God..."so that we may go into the wilderness to worship". Our lives are not so much about rejecting idols, but always running to that strong tower, Jesus Christ, to worship Him instead...replacing our idols with Him.
So, how does this relate to the duct tape?
 
Got this roll about a year ago...I HAD to get duct tape and it HAD to be pretty (yes, my husband thought I was nuts). My reasoning was this. When I see duct tape, it reminds me of bondage. (okay, yes...morbid...but I think of being gagged, etc...). And it had to be PRETTY duct tape because it reminds me that I can be in bondage by GOOD and pleasing and pretty things. While outright heinous sins can enslave us, so too can morally neutral things, if we serve them and cater to them ahead of God. So, the duct tape pretty much camped out by our computer after I got it to remind myself to stay away from online shoppig for a bit (which was becoming a nasty little habit of mine). It has made an appearance by our cookie jar, around the neck of a bottle of wine, and even in my purse when I go shopping and want to worship the god of consumerism/materialism. People can think I am crazy, but it reminds me of this truth--anything and everything can enslave us and we can set up "things" as idols in a heartbeat! For now, the roll of tape is in my spiritual journey suitcase...but it is always at the ready to be a visual reminder for me!!

No comments:

Post a Comment