Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Valentine Pencil Toppers


One more Valentine project for you before the Love Month closes out. I made these pencil toppers last year for my daughter's Valentine exchange at preschool. I found these adorable Valentine themed pencils in the Target dollar section and bought several packs. Then, I had fun using up some of my Valentine themed patterened paper from Making Memories--it was an 8x8 pack--I size I rarely use--so it was perfect to transform it into this project. To make each one, I cut out a 3" x 3.5" rectangle of pattered paper (this paper pack is all double sided) and then rounded the corners with a corner rounder (CM) and cut two little slits in it with a craft knife about a quarter of the way down from the top and bottom for the pencil to slide through later.
Next, I punched out a 2" circle of lighter colored cardstock and stamped a heart design on it with either red or black ink (heart stamp is Fiskars, dotted circle is CTMH Connections stamp set). Then I layered this circle onto a 2.5" circle of pattered paper--I wish I had a scalloped circle punch of this size--but I did not, so I used my old-fashioned scalloped decorative scissors to trim around it (these STILL come in handy). Then, I attached the scalloped circle to the rectangular cardstock using two brads--I felt this was the most secure way to do it, because the circle will curve quite a bit when you slide the pencil through. The last step was to print out a Valentine sentiment on some sticky address labels and stick it across the pencil on the back--this secures the pencil inside, covers the brad ends, and provides a place to say to/from.
They turned out super cute and were well received, and I enjoyed looking at the "bouquet" of them before we took them into school.

No comments:

Post a Comment